Built and extended in several phases from 1898 to 1914, Thorton Manor (Grade II* Listed) was originally the home of William Lever, later Lord Leverhulme, the founder of Unilever. Following the death of the last Viscount Lever the Manor House and Estate were sold to a private developer who proposed to create a conference and events centre and a venue for weddings.
Paddock Johnson were appointed as architects for the refurbishment, conversion and additional works necessary for the proposals, in addition to preparing concept designs for a new build spa facility connected to the existing swimming pool and fitness centre. A second phase followed which saw restoration, conversion and extensions to the Housekeepers House, Grooms House, East Lodge and Cricket Pavilion, to create high quality, self contained lettable accommodation.
Our approach consistently has been not to blindly follow statutory guidelines at the detriment of significance, always looking for innovative solutions to achieve the same means without compromising the historic fabric. This included the strategy for essential fire protection and compartmentation works for the proposed use and the insertion of contemporary standalone en-suite bathroom pods.