Lower Stretton is a village within the Civil Parish of Stretton, Warrington, Cheshire. Formerly part of the parish of Great Budworth, Stretton was constituted as a chapelry in 1833 consisting of a church (built in 1827), a national school and a post-office.
Whilst the character of Stretton has evolved to be more residential in nature, Lower Stretton remains essentially rural and agricultural charactered by open fields, individual dwellings, and vernacular farm buildings, domestic in scale and detail.
Paddock Johnson were appointed as architects for the refurbishment of the former barn, to convert the Grade II Listed Building into two individual residential dwellings. The former barn at Stretton House predates the main house by approximately 20 years, built in 1769.
The concept was centred around embracing the spirit of the existing building whilst at the same time retaining honesty of expression through a clearly contemporary approach to any new additions. Changes to the appearance of the barn have been kept to a minimum and are designed to be subtle and in-keeping, so as not to detract from the special character of the heritage asset or that of Stretton House.